Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
Ohio will hold a special election tomorrow, Tuesday, Aug. 8. Voters will decide whether to make it more difficult to amend the Ohio Constitution. The polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Check your polling location via the Ohio Secretary of State’s voter look-up website.
- Indy context: Athens County sees high early voter turnout for Issue 1.
In a lawsuit over the death of Southeast Ohio Regional Jail pre-trial detainee Jennifer Ohlinger, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals denied a request by the plaintiff’s attorneys to rehear the plaintiff’s appeal. Now, as the court initially ordered in June, the case moves back to the lower court. James Gray, a former jail nurse and medical supervisor, faces claims related to reckless treatment of Ohlinger. (Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals)
- Indy context: Lawsuit over SEORJ inmate death to move forward after appellate court decision.
An Ohio University Police Department investigation related to OU wrestlers’ March injuries ended without any criminal charges. Two members of the OU wrestling coaching staff returned to their positions, after being placed on administrative leave during the investigation. (Ohio University)
A former Nelsonville-York girls’ basketball coach pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual battery for engaging in sexual conduct with a female student. Through a plea agreement, Robert J. Cassady, 36, was sentenced to five years of community control probation. He also will surrender his teaching license, serve house arrest for six months and register as a Tier III sex offender. (Logan Daily News)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
As the Athens County Fair kicks off, meet the fair king and queen contestants. (Athens Messenger)
- Indy context: Everything you need to know to enjoy the 168th Athens County Fair.
Dirty Girl Coffee opened its Glouster storefront this summer. Owner Jane Cavarozzi hopes the store and her other community efforts will pave the way for further economic development in Glouster. (The Buckeye Flame)
The Foundation for Appalachian Ohio recently announced grant opportunities for Black-led and Black-serving Appalachian Ohio organizations as well as Nelsonville area nonprofit projects, among other regional funding opportunities. (Foundation for Appalachian Ohio)
The nonprofit Arc of Appalachia is raising money to acquire and protect two threatened forests in southern Ohio. (Arc of Appalachia)
Ohio Republicans introduced a bill that would allow public schools to employ unlicensed chaplains, prompting concerns, including from LGBTQ+ advocates. Two of the bill’s co-sponsors previously introduced anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. (The Buckeye Flame)
Seven Ohio University student athletes will serve as brand ambassadors for the Southern Ohio Copperheads baseball team. (Athens Messenger)
- Quilt National 2023. Open through Sept. 11 at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane, Athens.
- Athens County Fair. Through August 4–12, Athens County Fairgrounds, West Union Street, Athens. $5 admission Aug. 5–6, $10 Aug. 7–12.
- Free Hot Meal. 5:15–7:30 p.m. Fridays, Good Works, 7857 Luhrig Rd., Athens. Take-home food is available after 7:30 p.m.
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online calendar!
Note: All information is current as of the Bulletin Board’s production on Friday afternoon. Click the links to find the most up-to-date information.
Aug. 8 Special Election
- Polls are open 6:30 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
- Voting location moves:
- Athens Ward 2, Precincts 2–4: Ohio University Inn & Conference Center, 331 Richland Ave., Athens (special election only)
- Alexander East, Alexander West, Albany Village and Lee Township: Christ Community Wesleyan Church, 6275 Kenney Memorial Lane, Albany (permanent)
- Carthage Township and Rome Township: Carthage Township Volunteer Fire Department, 21200 Holly Lane, Guysville (permanent)
- Learn about Issue 1 and the special election in this Voters Guide by the League of Women Voters.
- Hydrant flushing: 8 a.m.–2 p.m. Aug. 12–19. No boil order. For more information, call the village office at 740-698-6127.
- Street closure: Ohio Avenue (Athens Twp. 1016) will be closed starting at 7 a.m. Monday, Aug. 7, while The Plains Water and Sewer District installs a sanitary sewer tap between Elm and Oak streets.
- Public Comment
- Engineering & Public Works
- NEW Water line extension: Stimson Avenue, beginning Monday, August 14. Expected completion: September 2023.
- Hydrant flushing. 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Water may be discolored but remains safe. However, the city recommends you do not wash laundry during this time.
- Monday–Friday: Rufus Street, North McKinley Avenue, South Green Drive, Oxbow Drive, Richland Avenue, East Union Street, East Green Drive, College Street, University Terrace, Church Street, Park Place and on OU’s College Green.
- Monday: Stimson Avenue.
- Tuesday: North Blackburn Road, Larson’s Way, and Kimes Lane.
- Street improvements. State Street/Stimson Avenue intersection, August 3–4 and August 7. Roberts and North Congress streets, August 4 and August 8.
- Dairy Lane sewer and water line project. Expected completion: Sewer portion, fall 2023; entire project, 2024.
- College Green tunnel rehabilitation: East Union Street is closed between North College Street and East Green Drive. Detour is marked. Expected completion: Mid-August.
- Requests for Bids/Proposals
- NEW Closure: Meadowbrook Road (CR 70) will be closed at Hebbardsville Road (CR 19) for a bridge deck replacement. Expected completion: Aug. 16
- Repairs to the covered bridge on Blackwood Road (CR 46) continue.
- Mowing: Cowan Road (CR 102), Rainbow Lake Road (CR 89), Oakdale Road (CR 31) and East Scatter Ridge Road (CR 20)
- Leveling: Greens Run Road (CR 96).
- NEW Resurfacing: SR 377 from the SR 550 intersection to the Morgan County line. Expected completion: Oct. 15.
- Tree trimming: SR 691 between SR 56 (Waterloo Twp.) and Hocking Parkway (York Twp.). The road will be closed where work is taking place. Contact the Athens County ODOT Garage for updates at 740-568-4320. Estimated completion: Aug. 31.
- Resurfacing: SR 78 between Trimble Twp 675 and the Morgan County line; expected completion Aug. 15. US 33 between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550; expected completion: Sept. 1.
- Landslide repair: SR 329 between US 50 and New England Road (CR 48) and SR 13 between SR 550 and Alderman Road (CR 111). Estimated completion: Oct. 1.
- Lane closures: US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52); expected completion Oct. 1. US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144; expected completion Nov. 1.
- Lane closures and changes to traffic patterns: US 33/US 50 interchange; expected completion November 2023.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
5 p.m.: Athens City-County Board of Health, Athens City-County Health Department, 278 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission, OhioMeansJobs–Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Glouster Village Council, Glouster Depot, 51 High St., Glouster. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Carthage Township Board of Trustees, Carthage Township Office, 2741 Lottridge Rd., Guysville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Canaan Township Board of Trustees, Canaan Township Building, 16167 S. Canaan Rd., Canaanville. In-person only.
10 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission, Athens County Courthouse annex, first floor, 15 S. Court St., Athens. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Burr Oak Regional Water District, Tom Jenkins Dam Water Office, 23560 Tom Jenkins Dam Rd., Glouster. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Coolville Village Council, Coolville Village Hall, 26319 Main St., Coolville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Lee Township Board of Trustees, Lee Township Office, 2013 Mill St., Albany. In-person only.
10 a.m.: Ohio Area 14 Workforce Development Board, Ohio University Inn & Conference Center, 331 Richland Ave., Athens. In-person only.
10 a.m.: Hocking Valley Community Residential Center, 111 W. 29 Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
10:30 a.m.: Hocking Conservancy District, district office, 560 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
Noon: Athens Affordable Housing Commission, Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., Athens. In-person only.
3:30 p.m.: Athens County Board of Elections, board office, 15 S. Court St. #130, Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Alexander Township Board of Trustees, 8711 Harner Rd., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens Municipal Arts Commission, ARTS/West, 132 W. State St., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens Township Board of Trustees, 313 W. Union St., Athens. In -person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center, 21 Birge Drive, Chauncey. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville-York City School District Board of Education, Nelsonville-York Middle School, 2 Buckeye Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Trimble Township Wastewater Treatment District, 18551 Jacksonville Rd., Glouster. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Amesville Village Council, 21 Maple St., Amesville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Alexander Local School District Board of Education, Alexander High School library, 6125 School Rd., Albany. In-person and livestream.
8 a.m.: Athens County Regional Planning Commission, Athens County Emergency Medical Services, 21 Kenny Drive, Athens. In person only.
Noon: Athens County Creating Healthy Communities Coalition, Zoom (password 786447).
1 p.m.: Outdoor Recreation Council of Appalachia, Baileys Trail System, 23 Main St., Chauncey. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Bern Township Board of Trustees, Bern Township Office, 16877 Joy Rd., Sharpsburg. In person only.
No meetings scheduled
4:30 p.m.: Le-Ax Water District Board of Directors, Le-Ax Water Office, 6000 Industrial Dr., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens City Historic Preservation Commission, Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., Athens. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Lodi Township Board of Trustees, Lodi Township Building, 15525 Fossil Rock Rd., Athens. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Little Hocking Water Association Board, Little Hocking Water Association, 3998 Newbury Rd., Little Hocking. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Trimble Village Council, Trimble Village Hall, 19549 Congress St., Trimble. In-person only.
7:30 p.m.: Tuppers Plains Chester Water District Board of Directors, district office, 39561 Bar 30 Rd., Reedsville. In-person only.
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!