Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent shares news from other outlets and organizations that we understand to be reliable. However, the organizations cited are responsible for the accuracy of their own reporting and announcements.
The Ohio Department of Education released its new school report cards. Check out how your local school district is doing. (Ohio Department of Education)
Ohio University welcomed a record-breaking number of first-year students this year, beating the all-time record set last year with 4,516 incoming students. (Ohio University)
In other record-setting news, Federal Hocking High School cross country runner Evan McPherson broke the school record again this year at the Fort Frye Invitational. (Athens Messenger)
Voters in the Alexander Local School District will see a 1% income tax levy renewal on the ballot this November. (Athens Messenger)
- Indy context: What the Nov. 8 general election ballot in Athens County lacks in candidate choice, it makes up for in local ballot issues.
The Ohio Department of Transportation has proposed building roundabouts at the eastbound and westbound exits from US 33 to SR 682 in The Plains. The $2 million project would begin in spring 2024. A public meeting on the proposal will be held at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11, in the main building of The Plains Community Park on Connett Road. Residents also may submit comments on the project’s web page. (ODOT)
Ohio University’s Student Senate is recommending that the university trustees adopt a $50/semester fee to help the Athens Fire Department hire additional firefighters and provide on-campus fire safety education. The number of fire runs to campus and surrounding neighborhoods have increased annually between 1996 with a dip in 2020–21 during the pandemic, said Chief Robert Rymer. (The Post)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
Five Athens County students are among the recipients of donor-established scholarships for post-secondary education. (Foundation for Appalachian Ohio)
CLARIFICATION: The last issue of the Bulletin Board stated that “Columbus police” fatally shot Ta’Kiya Young. The police department involved was not the Columbus Police Department, but the Blendon Township Police Department. We regret any confusion.
- Community Health Fair: 9 a.m.–noon Wednesday, Sept. 20, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens
- Albany Independent Fair: Sept. 20–24, Albany Independent Fairgrounds, 5201 Washington Rd., Albany
- … And Still Was — MFA Second Year Exhibition: 5–7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21, Ohio University Art Gallery, Siegfred Hall, Athens
- ‘80s Night with DJ Barticus: 10 p.m.–2 a.m. Friday, Sept. 22, Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., Athens
- Athens Farmers Market: 9 a.m.–noon Saturday, Sept. 23, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens
- Second Annual Gathering in the Garden: 3–5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23, Eastside Community Garden, East Park Road, Athens
- 45th Anniversary Celebration at Factory Street Studio: 5:30–9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23, Factory Street Studio, 37 Ohio Ave., Athens
- OVSCDC Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day Fundraiser: 1–4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 24, Eclipse Company Store, 11309 Jackson Drive, The Plains
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online Calendar!
Note: All information is current as of the Bulletin Board’s production on Monday morning. Click the links to find the most up-to-date information.
Emergency response exercise: The Athens County Emergency Management Agency will conduct a full-scale exercise from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23, at the Jacksonville Volunteer Fire Department.
- Solid Waste Management survey: Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District seeks input on a new 15-year solid waste management plan. Take the survey here.
- Athens County Active Transportation Survey: deadline Sept. 30.
- Road closures
- Dairy Lane project: Access to Dairy Lane between the Summit at Coates Run driveway and South Park Drive will be limited Sept. 18–22; no through traffic will be allowed. South Ridge Drive will be closed at the intersection with South Park Drive and the bike path near South Ridge Drive also will be closed.
- South Blackburn Road: 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Sept. 18–22, between 6802 S. Blackburn Rd. and 6585 S. Blackburn Rd.
- Radford Road closure: Radford Road will be closed at the Whitlind Avenue intersection starting Monday, Sept. 18., for construction of the Athens County/US 50 sewer project.
- US 33/US 50 interchange: The ramp from US 33 east to Stimson Avenue/Rock Riffle Road is closed until approximately Sept. 30. Expected project completion: November.
- Resurfacing: SR 377 from the SR 550 intersection to the Morgan County line; expected completion: Oct. 15. US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144; expected completion Nov. 1.
Note: Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
Monday, Sept. 18
8:30 a.m.: Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District Board, Foundation for Appalachian Ohio, 35 Public Square, Nelsonville. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission, OhioMeansJobs – Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Rome Township Board of Trustees, Rome Township Building, 8708 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: York Township Board of Trustees, York Township Fire Department, 15255 Elm Rock Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
Tuesday, Sept. 19
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission, Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
2 p.m.: Athens County Board of Revision, Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
3 p.m.: Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, Prisley-Wells Commissioner Building, 10 Hope Drive, Athens. In-person only.
5:15 p.m.: United Campus Ministry Board of Directors, United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., basement, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens Township Zoning Commission, Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Federal Hocking Board of Education, Federal Hocking High School Library, 8461 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Tri-County Career Center Board of Education, Tri-County Career Center, 15676 SR 691, room 108, Nelsonville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Sunday Creek Valley Water District Board, Sunday Creek Valley Water District, 15945 Second St., Millfield. In-person only.
Wednesday, Sept. 20
11 a.m.: Athens County Community Singers Advisory Board, Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
12 p.m.: Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District Policy Committee, Nelsonville Public Library, 95 W. Washington St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
2:30 p.m.: Athens County Family and Children First Council, Ohio Means Jobs, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
3:30 p.m.: Athens County Board of Elections, Athens County Board of Elections Office, 15 S. Court St. Room 130., Athens. In-person only.
4 p.m.: Athens Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors, Athens Soil and Water Conservation District, 69 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
4:30 p.m.: Athens County Public Libraries Board of Trustees, Nelsonville Public Library, 95 W. Washington St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville-York City School District Board of Education, Nelsonville-York Middle School Cafeteria, 2 Buckeye Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Parade of the Hills Committee, Nelsonville Homes, 900 E. Canal St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Albany Village Council, Albany Village Hall, 5153 Alton St., Albany. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Albany Independent Agricultural Society Board, Albany Fairgrounds, 5120 Washington Rd., Albany. In-person only.
Thursday, Sept. 21
5 p.m.: Athens-Hocking Recycling Center Board, Athens-Hocking Recycling Center, 5991 Industrial Park Rd., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens Recreation Advisory Board, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Dover Township Board of Trustees, Dover Township Garage, 15947 Main St., Millfield. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Trimble Local Board of Education, Trimble Local School District Office, 1 Tomcat Drive, Glouster. In-person only.
Friday, Sept. 22
No meetings scheduled
Monday, Sept. 25
10:30 a.m.: Hocking Athens Perry Community Action Finance Committee, Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, 3 Cardaras Drive, Glouster. In-person only.
11 a.m.: Hocking Athens Perry Community Action Board, Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, 3 Cardaras Drive, Glouster. In-person only.
1 p.m.: Buckeye Hills Regional Council Broadband Committee, Buckeye Hills Regional Council, 1400 Pike Street, Marietta. In-person only.
4 p.m.: Athens County Children Services Board, Athens County Children Services, 14 Stonybrook Drive, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board, Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board, 7990 Dairy Lane, Athens, and over Zoom.
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!