Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
A mockumentary video created by students in the New Media+ program at Tri-County Career Center has been nominated for Best Comedy at the Student World Impact Film Festival. “The Newsroom” was written, performed, filmed and edited by the students, who were inspired by “The Office.” (The 360)
Athens City Council members officially voted to put the city’s garbage contract out to bid again, after rejecting bids from current contract-holder Athens-Hocking Recycling Center and Rumpke. (WOUB)
At its June 20 meeting, Athens City Council will hear third reading of an ordinance permitting the Athens County Agricultural Society to erect a chain-link fence on city property inside the Athens County Fairgrounds. Nearby residents are concerned that the fence will be unsightly and interfere with wildlife, while council members have questioned whether to allow the permit since the society has repeatedly rejected requests to bar vendors at the fair from selling Confederate-themed merchandise. (The Post, June 8 and June 13)
Ohio University’s Board of Trustees approved a new plan that aims to “renew” its arts education facilities and educational offerings. (OU)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
- Sharing Our Appalachia: A Roundtable Discussion on Guided Experiences. 5:30–7:30 p.m., Thursday, June 22, at the Southeast Ohio History Center, 24 W. State St., Athens.
- Classics & Cocktails: Moonrise Kingdom. 7 p.m., Friday, June 23, at the Athens City Parking Garage. $8 tickets, drink prices vary. Presented by the Athena Cinema.
- Exhibit: “i want to reach you.” Open through June 25 at Majestic Galleries, 20 Public Square, Nelsonville.
- Exhibit: “Quilt National 2023.” Open through September 11 at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane, Athens.
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online Calendar!
- Culvert replacement: Hooper Ridge Road (CR 36)
- Brush trimming: South Rodehaver Road (CR 57, south of Mill School Road)
- Mowing: North Rodehaver Road (CR 57, north of Mill School Road)
- Leveling: New Marshfield Road (CR 3)
- Patching: Factory Road (CR 14)
- Resurfacing on SR 13 from SR 550 to the Perry County line and on SR 329 from SR 13 to Shell Hill. Traffic is being maintained by flaggers. Estimated completion: July 15.
- Landslide repair on SR 329 between US 50 and New England Road (CR). Temporary traffic signals in place. Estimated completion: October 1.
- The completion date for work at the US 33/US 50 interchange has been changed from October 1 to November.
- Lane closures on US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52) for sign upgrades. Expected completion: October 1.
- Lane closure on US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144 for resurfacing. Expected completion: November 1.
- The SR 7 north ramp to US 50 West is closed until July 15. Detour: SR 144 to SR 329 to US 50.
- SR 78 is being resurfaced between Trimble Twp. Rd. 675 and the Morgan County line. Traffic maintained by flaggers. Expected completion: August 15.
- All of SR 143 is being resurfaced. Expected completion: August 1.
- SR 681 from US 50 to the Meigs County line is being resurfaced. Expected completion: August 1.
- US 33 will be resurfaced between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550 beginning May 22. Traffic will be maintained by flaggers. Expected completion: September 1.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
Please note: regular meetings may be affected by Juneteenth.
5 p.m.: Rome Township Board of Trustees has a regular biweekly meeting at the Rome Township Building, 8708 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: York Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the York Township Fire Department, 15255 Elm Rock Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Lodi Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Lodi Township Building, 15525 Fossil Rock Rd., Athens. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission has a regular weekly meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
3 p.m.: Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority Board of Commissioners has a regular monthly meeting at the Prisley-Wells Commissioner Building, 10 Hope Drive, Athens. In-person only.
4 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission has a regular biweekly meeting at OhioMeansJobs – Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Outdoor Recreation Council of Appalachia has a regular monthly meeting at the Baileys Trail System mountain bike rental office, 23 Main St., Chauncey. In-person only.
5:15 p.m.: United Campus Ministry Board has a regular monthly meeting at United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., basement, Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Tri-County Career Center Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting preceded by a Policy Meeting at the Tri-County Career Center, 15676 OH-691, room 108/Pierce Room, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens Township Zoning Commission has a regular monthly meeting at The Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Federal Hocking Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting at Coolville Elementary School, 26461 Main St., Coolville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville City Council will hold meetings for the Parks & Recreation, Judiciary, Street, Utilities, Planning & Development, Police & Fire, and Finance committees, followed by a Special Meeting of the City Council, at Nelsonville City Hall, 211 Lake Hope Drive, Nelsonville, and over livestream. Notice
7 p.m.: Sunday Creek Valley Water District Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at the Sunday Creek Valley Water District, 15945 2nd St., Millfield. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens City Commission on Disabilities has a regular meeting at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Parade of the Hills Committee has a regular monthly meeting at Nelsonville Homes, community room, 900 E. Canal St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Albany Village Council has a regular meeting in Village Council Chambers at Albany Village Hall, 5153 Alton St., Albany. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Albany Independent Agricultural Society has a regular monthly meeting at the Albany Fairgrounds, 5120 Washington Rd., Albany. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Jacksonville Village Council has a regular monthly meeting at the Jacksonville Fire Station, 34 S. 6th St., Jacksonville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Trimble Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Trimble Township Building, 14 Town St., Glouster. In-person only.
No public meetings
8 a.m.: Troy Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Troy Township Office, 25600 Brimstone Rd., Coolville. In-person only.
12 p.m.: Hocking Athens Perry Community Action Board of Trustees has a regular bimonthly meeting at Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, 3 Cardaras Drive, Glouster. In-person only.
4 p.m.: Athens County Children Service Board has a regular monthly meeting at 14 Stonybrook Drive, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services (317) Board, 7990 Dairy Lane, Athens, and over Zoom.
7 p.m.: Athens City Council has a regular biweekly committee meeting at the Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., 3rd floor, Athens, and over livestream.
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!