Local News Roundup
Note: he Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
Early voting is underway on Issue 1, a proposed amendment to the Ohio Constitution that would make it more difficult to amend the constitution by ballot initiative. Some GOP officials say the issue is intended to prevent a ballot initiative in support of abortion rights. The special election will be held Aug. 8. (Ohio Capital Journal)
- Indy context: What you need to know about the Aug. 8 special election
Volunteers have completed construction of the new Lake to Lodge Trail, which will give visitors to the Burr Oak State Park Lodge easier access to Burr Oak Lake. (Athens Messenger)
Athens city officials and community members pay tribute to Paul Logue, who died July 5 at age 48. Logue had served as city planner since 2008. (Athens Messenger)
More than 1,500 Athens County students received school supplies, backpacks, clothes, haircuts, immunizations and more at the fifth annual Back to School Bash on Nelsonville Public Square. (Athens Messenger)
The Preservation Society of Mount Zion Baptist Church is selling church pews to fund renovations and increase space available for renovation work. (WOUB)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
Lack of access to broadband internet, mental health services and reliable transportation prevent Ohio’s low-income residents from reaping the benefits of the state’s improving economy, according to the 2023 State of Poverty in Ohio report. (WOUB)
The new state biennial budget includes $46 million to support call centers and training for the 988 suicide hotline that launched in 2022. A bipartisan bill to create a dedicated 988 fund has been proposed in the Ohio House of Representatives. (Statehouse News Bureau)
- Quilt National 2023. Open through Sept. 11 at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane, Athens.
- Third Thursdays Free Summer Concert Series: 6–8 p.m. Thursday, July 20, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens. Boys of the Hock 6–7 p.m.; Paula and the Rescue Dogs 7–8 p.m.
- Amesville Firemen’s Festival: 6–9 p.m. Friday, July 21, and 2–10 p.m. Saturday, July 22, State Street (SR 550), Amesville.
- Nelsonville Music Festival: 9 a.m. July 21–9:30 p.m July 23, 5685 Happy Hollow Rd, Nelsonville.
- Summer Splash Bash, 1–3 p.m. Sunday, July 23, Nelsonville Aquatics Center, 40 W. Canal St., Nelsonville.
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online Calendar!
Note: All information is current as of the Bulletin Board’s production on Monday morning. Click the links to find the most up-to-date information.
- Apply for an open seat on Nelsonville City Council. Must be a qualified elector who has resided and been a qualified elector in Nelsonville for at least one year. Submit letters of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Deadline: July 24.
- HAPCAP continues to provide low-income eligible residents of Hocking, Athens and Perry Counties with water and wastewater payment assistance to reconnect or avoid disconnection, establish new service or transfer service. The maximum benefit is $750 for water, $750 for wastewater or $1,500 for water and wastewater combined. Contact HAPCAP at (740) 767-4500 or (800) 282–0880.
- Dairy Lane is closed from Richland Avenue to the Summit at Coates Run driveway until 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 19.
- Hydrant flushing: City fire hydrants will be flushed 8 a.m.–4 p.m. this week on Old Coach Road, Longview Heights Road, Carroll Road, Warwick Lane, Dove Drive, Windsor Place, Roxbury Drive, Mulligan Road, Oakmont Subdivision, Campus Heights, University Courtyard and South Green Drive from Richland Avenue to Rufus Street. Water may be discolored, but is safe. However, the city recommends against doing laundry during this time.
- Public Comment
- Requests for Bids/Proposals
- Repairs to the covered bridge on Blackwood Road (CR 46) are underway.
- Mowing: Rock Riffle Road (CR 25), Shade Road (CR 44) and county roads in Albany, Redtown and Shade.
- Brush trimming: Dowler Ridge Road (CR 3), Mill School Road (CR 42), Wolfe Bennett Road (CR 73) and Poston Station Road (CR 110).
- Grading: Swett Hollow Road (CR 94).
- ODOT invites Athens County residents to register for focus groups about autonomous vehicles. The first session is 1–3 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 1; the second is 10 a.m.–noon, Thursday, Aug. 3. Both sessions will be held in the basement conference room at OhioHealth O’Bleness Memorial Hospital.
- Resurfacing: SR 143 and SR 681 from US 50 to the Meigs County line; expected completion for both projects: Aug. 1. US 33 between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550; expected completion: Sept. 1.
- Landslide repair: SR 329 between US 50 and New England Road (CR 48) and SR 13 between SR 550 and Alderman Road (CR 111). Temporary traffic signals in place. Estimated completion: Oct. 1.
- Lane closures: US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52); expected completion Oct. 1. US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144; expected completion Nov. 1.
- Lane closures and changes to traffic patterns: US 33/US 50 interchange; expected completion November 2023.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
11 a.m.: Sustainable Ohio Public Energy Council has a Finance Committee meeting at the Ohio University Innovation Center room 133, 340 W. State St., Athens. In-person or email firstname.lastname@example.org for virtual access.
12 p.m.: Sustainable Ohio Public Energy Council has a Personnel Committee meeting at the Ohio University Innovation Center room 133, 340 W. State St., Athens. In-person or email email@example.com for virtual access.
5 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission has a regular biweekly meeting at OhioMeansJobs – Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Rome Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Rome Township Building, 8708 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville City Council has a special meeting in executive session to interview candidates for city manager at the Nelsonville City Hall, 211 Lake Hope Drive, Nelsonville, and over livestream.
6 p.m.: York Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the York Township Fire Department, 15255 Elm Rock Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission has a regular weekly meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
9:30 a.m.: Athens County Board of County Commissioners has a regular weekly meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 2nd floor annex, commissioners’ conference room, Athens, and over Zoom. Agenda
2 p.m.: Athens County Board of Revision has a meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
3 p.m.: Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority Board of Commissioners has a regular monthly meeting at the Prisley-Wells Commissioner Building, 10 Hope Drive, Athens. In-person only.
5:15 p.m.: United Campus Ministry Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., basement, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens Township Zoning Commission has a regular monthly meeting at The Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Federal Hocking Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting at the Federal Hocking High School Library, 8461 SR 144, Stewart.
7 p.m.: Sunday Creek Valley Water District Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Sunday Creek Valley Water District, 15945 Second St., Millfield. In-person only.
11 a.m.: Athens County Community Singers Advisory Board has a regular monthly meeting at The Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
4:30 p.m.: Athens County Public Libraries Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Nelsonville Public Library, 95 W. Washington St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville-York City School District Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting at the Nelsonville-York Middle School Cafeteria, 2 Buckeye Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Parade of the Hills Committee has a regular monthly meeting at the Nelsonville Homes, 900 E. Canal St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Albany Village Council has a regular biweekly meeting at the Albany Village Hall, 5153 Alton St., Albany. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Albany Independent Agricultural Society Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Albany Fairgrounds, 5120 Washington Rd., Albany. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Athens-Hocking Recycling Center Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Athens-Hocking Recycling Center, 5991 Industrial Park Rd., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens Recreation Advisory Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Dover Township Board of Trustees has a regular biweekly meeting at the Dover Township Garage, 15947 Main St., Millfield. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Trimble Local Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting at the Trimble Local School District Office, 1 Tomcat Dr., Glouster. In-person only.
No public meetings
8 a.m.: Troy Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Troy Township Building, 25600 Brimstone Rd., Coolville. In-person only.
11 a.m.: Hocking Athens Perry Community Action Board has a regular bimonthly meeting at Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, 3 Cardaras Drive, Glouster.
1 p.m.: The Buckeye Hills Regional Council Broadband Committee has a meeting at Buckeye Hills Regional Council, 1400 Pike Street, Marietta. In-person only.
4 p.m.: Athens County Children Services Board has a regular monthly meeting at Athens County Children Services, 14 Stonybrook Drive, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board, 7990 Dairy Lane, Athens, and over Zoom.
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!