Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
An EF1 tornado touched down in Athens County over the weekend, traveling a 2.3 mile path with winds up to 100 miles per hour. No injuries or fatalities were reported. (National Weather Service Charleston WV)
Natasha Wolf, 23, Athens died yesterday after she was struck by a vehicle while attempting to cross State Route 13 near Trimble. (Ohio State Highway Patrol)
Amber Pyle will replace retiring Athens County Emergency Medical Services Chief Rick Callebs, moving up from her role as assistant chief. (Athens County Commissioners)
A former Southeast Ohio Regional Jail employee pleaded guilty to stealing from the jail. Jeremy T. Berwanger was ordered to pay $7,403.73 in restitution and $700 to enter the ACE diversion program. (Athens Messenger)
A delivery truck driver injured in the crash that killed Nelsonville police officer Scott Dawley has filed suit against Dawley’s estate and the City of Nelsonville, citing Dawley’s “reckless actions and willful and wanton misconduct.” (Athens Messenger)
Emergency room nurses at OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital are receiving trauma care training at Ohio University’s simulation lab in Grover Center. (WOUB News)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
A judge with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio upheld a western Ohio school district’s policy that allows students to use the bathroom matching their gender identity. A group of parents had sued the Bethel Local School District in Tipp City after a trans girl was allowed to use the girls restroom instead of a single-use bathroom. (Ohio Capital Journal)
With the August 8 special election over, the pro- and anti-Issue 1 sides are now gearing up for the November election, which includes a proposed abortion rights amendment to the state constitution. (Ohio Capital Journal)
- SE Ohio Food Bank free food distribution: During Amesville Elementary Open House, 4:30–6:30 p.m., Aug. 15, Amesville Elementary, SR 329, Amesville. Sponsored by the Joe Burrow Foundation.
- Chesterhill Produce Auction: 4–6 p.m. Thursdays, 8380 Wagoner Rd., Chesterhill.
- Free Movie in the Park: Super Mario Bros. 9–11 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 17. Behind the Athens Community Center at 701 E. State St., Athens.
- Free Hot Meal: 5:15–7:30 p.m. Fridays, Good Works, 7857 Luhrig Rd., Athens. Take-home food is available after 7:30 p.m.
- Athens Public Transit/Athens on Demand Free Fare Day: Saturday, Aug. 19, sponsored by Athens County Public Libraries.
- Third Annual Alonso Weed Festival: 2–9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 19, Gifford Park, Amesville.
- Amesville Creek Day: 2–4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 19, across from Amesville Elementary School, 23 Main St., Amesville.
- Medical supplies and equipment collection: 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 19, Vinton County Health Department, 31927 SR 93, McArthur. New or used items accepted; no medications or rusted equipment.
- Southeast Ohio Tree Care Conference: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4, ODNR District 4 headquarters, 360 E State St., Athens. Deadline to register: Sept. 25.
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online Calendar!
Note: All information is current as of the Bulletin Board’s production on Monday morning. Click the links to find the most up-to-date information.
New phone number: Athens County Children Services has changed its after-hours call system. To reach ACCS staff quickly outside of business hours, call 740-400-7059.
- Parade of the Hills street closures: Public Square will be closed beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, Aug. 11. The following streets will be closed beginning at 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 12: West Washington Street from the post office to Fort Street; West Columbus Street from the Nelsonville Public Library to 45 E. Columbus St.; Rocky Boot Way from Public Square to the alley by the Elks. All streets will reopen at 7:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 21.
- Public Comment
- Engineering & Public Works
- Hydrant flushing. 8 a.m.–4 p.m. August 14–18 on Rufus Street (Rivergate Towers), North McKinley Avenue (Rivers Edge), Oxbow Drive (Aquatic Center, Bird Arena and Baker University Center), South Green Drive (Ewing, Wray, Atkinson, Mackinnon and True residence halls), East Green Drive (Tiffin, Perkins and Johnson residence halls), Park Place (Gordy Hall and Alden Library), Richland Avenue (Porter Hall), East Union Street (McCracken Hall), North Green (Seigfred Hall and Hudson Health Center), College Green (McGuffey Hall), College Street, end of Pearl Street, University Terrace and Church Street. Water may be discolored but remains safe. However, the city recommends you do not wash laundry during this time.
- Street improvements. Check city website or call the Engineering and Public Works Department at 740-593-7636 for schedule.
- Dairy Lane sewer and water line project. Expected completion: Sewer portion, fall 2023; entire project, 2024.
- Stimson Avenue water line extension. Expected completion: September 2023.
- College Green tunnel rehabilitation: East Union Street is closed between North College Street and East Green Drive. Detour is marked. Expected completion: Mid-August.
- Requests for Bids/Proposals
- Road closures: Meadowbrook Road (CR 70) at Hebbardsville Road (CR 19) for a bridge deck replacement; expected completion Aug. 16; Rainbow Lake Road (CR 89) at Chase Road, 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 15, for culvert replacement prep.
- Mowing: East Scatter Ridge Road (CR 20), Blackwood Road (CR 46), Wood Road (CR 15) and Mansfield Road (CR 90).
- Culvert replacement: Rainbow Lake Road (CR 89).
- NEW The US 50 westbound ramp to US33 will close beginning Tuesday, Aug. 15. Traffic will detour into the roundabout and onto US 33 westbound. Expected completion: September 15. All US 50 westbound traffic is currently diverted to the new Stimson Avenue exit (173) into the roundabout. Work on the US 33/US 50 interchange is expected to be completed in November.
- Tree trimming: SR 691 between SR 56 (Waterloo Twp.) and Hocking Parkway (York Twp.). The road will be closed where work is taking place. Contact the Athens County ODOT Garage for updates at 740-568-4320. Estimated completion: August 31.
- Resurfacing: SR 78 between Trimble Twp 675 and the Morgan County line; expected completion Aug. 15. US 33 between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550; expected completion: September 1. SR 377 from the SR 550 intersection to the Morgan County line. Expected completion: October 15.
- Landslide repair: SR 13 between SR 550 and Alderman Road (CR 111). Estimated completion: October 1.
- Lane closures: US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52); expected completion October 1. US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144; expected completion November 1.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
4:30 p.m.: Le-Ax Water District Board of Directors, Le-Ax Water Office, 6000 Industrial Dr., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens City Historic Preservation Commission, Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., Athens. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Lodi Township Board of Trustees, Lodi Township Building, 15525 Fossil Rock Rd., Athens. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Little Hocking Water Association Board, Little Hocking Water Association, 3998 Newbury Rd., Little Hocking. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Trimble Village Council, Trimble Village Hall, 19549 Congress St., Trimble. In-person only.
7:30 p.m.: Tuppers Plains Chester Water District Board of Directors, Tuppers Plains Chester Water District, 39561 Bar 30 Rd., Reedsville. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission, Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
11 a.m.: Athens Metropolitan Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, Dew House, 6 Public Square, Nelsonville. In-person only.
2 p.m.: Athens County Board of Revision, Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Tri-County Career Center Board of Education Policy Meeting, Tri-County Career Center room 108, 15676 SR 691, Nelsonville.
5:15 p.m.: United Campus Ministry Board of Directors, United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., basement, Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Tri-County Career Center Board of Education special meeting, Tri-County Career Center room 108, 15676 SR 691, Nelsonville.
6 p.m.: Athens Township Zoning Commission, Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Sunday Creek Valley Water District Board, Sunday Creek Valley Water District, 15945 Second St., Millfield. In-person only.
11 a.m.: Athens County Community Singers Advisory Board, Plains Public Library, 14 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
4:30 p.m.: Athens County Public Libraries Board of Trustees, Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville-York City School District Board of Education, Nelsonville-York Middle School Cafeteria, 2 Buckeye Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Parade of the Hills Committee, Nelsonville Homes, 900 E. Canal St., Nelsonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Albany Village Council, Albany Village Hall, 5153 Alton St., Albany. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Albany Independent Agricultural Society Board, Albany Fairgrounds, 5120 Washington Rd., Albany. In-person only.
3:45 p.m.: Athens Community Relations Commission, Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Athens-Hocking Recycling Center Board, Athens-Hocking Recycling Center, 5991 Industrial Park Rd., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Athens Recreation Advisory Board, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Dover Township Board of Trustees, Dover Township Garage, 15947 Main St., Millfield. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Trimble Local Board of Education, Trimble Local School District Office, 1 Tomcat Dr., Glouster. In-person only.
No public meetings
11 a.m.: Sustainable Ohio Public Energy Council Finance Committee, Ohio University Innovation Center room 133, 340 W. State St., Athens. In-person or email email@example.com for virtual access.
12 p.m.: Sustainable Ohio Public Energy Council Personnel Committee, Ohio University Innovation Center room 133, 340 W. State St., Athens. In-person or email firstname.lastname@example.org for virtual access.
4 p.m.: Athens County Children Services Board, 14 Stonybrook Drive, Athens.
5 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission, OhioMeansJobs – Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Rome Township Board of Trustees, Rome Township Building, 8708 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: York Township Board of Trustees, York Township Fire Department, 15255 Elm Rock Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!