Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
After a four-year journey of self-improvement and sobriety, former Nelsonville resident Ryan Horrocks gained attention on social media for his inspiring videos, leading to a role in music videos alongside Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, and Mike Epps. (Athens Messenger)
The Ohio Arts Council has awarded a sustainability grant to Calliope Feminist Choir. Although the choir has received OAC funding in the past, this is the group’s first operational grant. The funds will support choir operations for four years, beginning with the 2023–24 season. (Calliope Feminist Choir)
Maelee Collins, 16, of Crooksville was crowned Miss Parade of the Hills on Saturday. (Athens Messenger)
A project to develop 720 housing units on The Ridges may be a much-needed answer to the problem of homelessness in Appalachian Ohio. Only about a fourth of Ohio’s emergency shelter beds are located in its 32 Appalachian counties. An Athens County resident needs to earn almost $18/hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment here. (Ohio Capital Journal)
The Ohio Secretary of State’s office confirmed enough valid petition signatures to place a recreational marijuana law on the November ballot. The initiative, led by the Coalition to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol, seeks to legalize and regulate marijuana cultivation, sale and use for those 21 and older, including home cultivation of up to six plants per person. (Ohio Capital Journal)
The abortion rights amendment on the November ballot would not limit parental rights as some opponents claim, according to legal experts. Nor would it have any effect on gender-affirming care; opponents of the measure have falsely claimed that it would allow minors to undergo such care — including surgery — without their parents’ knowledge. (Ohio Capital Journal)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
- SE Ohio Food Bank free food distribution: During Athens Middle School Open House, 1 p.m. Aug. 21, Athens Middle School, 51–55 W. State St., Athens. Sponsored by the Joe Burrow Foundation.
- Majestic Galleries 20th Anniversary: 5–8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 25, Majestic Galleries, 20 Public Square, Nelsonville.
- Fields to Ridges Outdoors Kids Day: 10 a.m.–5 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 26, Poston Lake, 9035 New England Rd., Stewart.
- Community Appreciation Ice Cream Social: 2–4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, Shade Community Center, 2380 Old US 33, Shade.
- Community Dance Day: 2–5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, Factory Street Studio, 37 Ohio Ave., Athens.
Have an event to promote? Add it to our online Calendar!
Note: All information is current as of the Bulletin Board’s production on Monday morning. Click the links to find the most up-to-date information.
- Service suspension: Saturday service and service on Line 5, effective Saturday, Aug. 28.
- Service resumption: The Summit at Coates Run and University Courtyard, effective Saturday, Aug. 28.
- Public Comment
- Engineering & Public Works
- NEW Stimson Avenue water line extension begins. There will be times during the project when traffic will be flagged. There will also be times during the project when daytime westbound Stimson Avenue traffic will be detoured via N. 1804 Way, Mill Street, and Palmer Street. Expected completion: September 2023.
- Street improvements: Forest Street, Highland Avenue, Joneswood Drive, Short Street, Strouds Run Road, Longview Heights, Hooper Street and Nottingham Drive.
- Hydrant flushing: Stimson Avenue, 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Aug. 21. Water may be discolored but remains safe. However, the city recommends you do not wash laundry during this time.
- Dairy Lane sewer and water line project: Expected completion: Sewer portion, fall 2023; entire project, 2024.
- Street closure: East Union Street between North College Street and East Green Drive for College Green tunnel rehabilitation. Detour is marked. Expected completion: Mid-August.
- Resurfacing: Wood Road (CR 15), ending Monday. Salem Road (CR 9) beginning Tuesday.
- Leveling: Taylor Ridge Road (CR 67) and Swett Hollow Road (CR 94).
- Project preparation: Jeffers Road (Lodi Twp. 83) bridge, future replacement.
- Mowing: Vore Ridge Road (CR 22), county roads around Nelsonville and Coolville.
- US 33/US 50 interchange: US 50 westbound ramp to US 33 is closed; expected completion Sept. 15. All US 50 westbound traffic is diverted to the new Stimson Avenue exit (173) into the roundabout. Expected project completion: November.
- Tree trimming: SR 691 between SR 56 (Waterloo Twp.) and Hocking Parkway (York Twp.). The road will be closed where work is taking place. Contact the Athens County ODOT Garage for updates at (740) 568-4320. Estimated completion: Aug. 31.
- Resurfacing: SR 78 between Trimble Twp 675 and the Morgan County line; expected completion Aug. 15. US 33 between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550; expected completion: Sept. 1. SR 377 from the SR 550 intersection to the Morgan County line. Expected completion: Oct. 15.
- Landslide repair: SR 13 between SR 550 and Alderman Road (CR 111). Estimated completion: Oct. 1.
- Lane closures: US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52); expected completion Oct. 1. US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144; expected completion Nov. 1.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
5 p.m.: Athens County Veteran Service Commission, OhioMeansJobs – Athens County, 510 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5 p.m.: Rome Township Board of Trustees, Rome Township Building, 8708 SR 144, Stewart. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville City Council has a special meeting in executive session to interview candidates for city manager at the Nelsonville City Hall, 211 Lake Hope Drive, Nelsonville, and over livestream.
6 p.m.: York Township Board of Trustees, York Township Fire Department, 15255 Elm Rock Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission, Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Corrections Commission of Southeast Ohio, Southeast Ohio Regional Jail, 16678 Wolfe-Bennett Rd., Nelsonville. In-person only.
3:30 p.m.: Athens County Board of Elections Special Meeting to certify August 8 election results, select precincts for audit and confer with an attorney about a dispute involving the board that is the subject of imminent court action, Athens County Board of Elections Office, 15 S. Court St. Room 130, Athens. Official count begins at 8 a.m.
4 p.m.: Athens Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors, Athens Soil and Water Conservation District, 69 S. Plains Rd., The Plains. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center Governing Board, Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center, 21 Birge Drive, Chauncey. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Federal Hocking Local School District Board of Education, Amesville Elementary cafeteria, 23 Main St., Amesville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Federal Valley Resource Center Board, Federal Valley Resource Center, 8225 SR 329, Stewart. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Jacksonville Village Council, Jacksonville Fire Station, 34 6th St., Jacksonville. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Village of Albany Planning Commission, Albany Village Hall, 5153 Alton St., Albany. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Athens City School District Board of Education, Athens City School District Office, 21 Birge Drive, Chauncey. In-person only.
7 p.m.: League of Women Voters of Athens County Board, Zoom by request.
7 p.m.: Trimble Township Board of Trustees, Trimble Township Building, 14 Town St., Glouster. In-person only.
No public meetings scheduled
1 p.m.: Buckeye Hills Regional Council Broadband Committee, Buckeye Hills Regional Council, 1400 Pike Street, Marietta. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board, Athens-Hocking-Vinton Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health (317) Board, 7990 Dairy Lane, Athens, and over Zoom. Agenda
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!