Local news roundup
Note: The Athens County Independent is not responsible for errors in other outlets’ coverage.
Athens County Children Services put a Glouster woman’s four children into foster care for five months without ever proving many allegations — and her case is not unusual, a WOUB investigation found. (WOUB News)
In response to the increased cost of construction, the Athens City School District Board of Education authorized plans for a levy on the November ballot to seek an additional $20 million for a new Athens High School building in The Plains. (Athens Messenger)
The Post released its annual salary guide for Ohio University employees. Jeff Boals, the university’s head basketball coach, remains its highest paid employee, earning just over $725,000 in 2022. (The Post)
Jacksonville volunteer firefighters are working to create a search and rescue group to serve Athens and surrounding counties. The search and rescue group nearest to Athens County is currently 2.5 hours away. (Athens Messenger)
Athens residents Sam Smathers and Scott Burson co-authored “From Bulldog to Bengal,” a new book on Joe Burrow, which tells the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback’s success story from a local perspective. (The 360)
The Athens Ohio Investment Alliance has formed to support businesses in the Athens area with high-growth potential through early-stage investment and advising. (Press Release)
Tri-County students organized an annual vintage car show as a fundraiser for the career center. (The 360)
Support our work to deliver independent local news for Athens County
Like what you are reading?
Fannin Family Farms will open for business at the Nelsonville property that once housed Coffee Cup Restaurant. The store will offer ‘hyperlocal’ produce as well as flowers, houseplants and more. (Athens Messenger)
- Silent Film: “Safety Last.” 1923 romantic comedy starring Harold Lloyd, with live organ accompaniment by Dennis James. $15 for members and students, $20 general admission, $60 family bundle with four tickets and snacks. 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 8, Southeast Ohio History Center, 24 W. State St., Athens.
- Athens County Senior Resource Day. Door prizes, medical screenings, vehicle safety inspections and information booths on resources for senior citizens. Free. 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m. Thursday, May 11, Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., Athens.
- Master Gardener Plant Sale. Annuals, perennials, vegetables and herbs. Cash preferred, cards accepted. Volunteers will be available to answer questions and offer gardening tips. For more information, call 740-593-8555. 9 a.m.–noon Saturday, May 13, Athens City Pool parking lot, 701 E. State St., Athens.
- Calliope Spring Concert: Where the Light Begins. Reserve seats through Eventbrite, then pay at the door. A portion of proceeds will be donated to Athens United Immigrant Support Project. Sliding fee from $0 to $50. 7:30 p.m. Friday, May 12, and 4 p.m. Saturday, May 13, First Presbyterian Church, 2 S. Court St., Athens.
- Party in the Park. A celebration of the new walking path at Glouster Memorial Park, with food games, a mini race for kids 10 and under, and a skateboard demo by Flipside Skateboard Shop. Free. 1–3 p.m. Saturday, May 13, Glouster Memorial Park.
- Athens Rotary Club 100th Anniversary Celebration. Free. Saturday, May 13. 3:30 p.m., Athens Armory Park, North Court and Carpenter streets, Athens: Dedication of a new six-language Peace Pole designed by local architect Bruce Wentworth. 4 p.m., Southeast Ohio History Center, 24 W. State St., Athens: Open house for new Rotary exhibit. 5 p.m., history center: Special Rotary program featuring past District Governor David Lusty.
- 2nd Annual Honky Tonk Ball. Opening of art exhibits by Isaac Ludwig and Talcon Quinn, plus a concert by Hearts Gone South courtesy of Arts Midwest and Jackie O’s. Free. 6 p.m. Saturday, May 13, Federal Valley Resource Center, 8225 SR 13, Stewart.
- Athens Public Transit will have two upcoming service changes this month. Effective today, May 8, Line 7 to Albany and Nelsonville will begin running hour loops to both areas. Effective May 13, APT will resume full Saturday service. (HAPCAP)
- Salem Road will be closed Monday, May 8, until 3 p.m. Tuesday, May 9, as county crews complete a culvert replacement. (Athens County Engineer’s Office)
- ODOT projects in Athens County:
- Work continues on the US 33/US 50 interchange, with complete replacement of asphalt pavement and construction of a roundabout on Stimson Avenue. Multiple entrance and exit ramps are closed. Expected completion: October 1.
- Lane closures on US 50 between Harmony Road (CR 24) and Della Drive (CR 52) for sign upgrades. Expected completion: October 1.
- Lane closure on US 50 between Della Drive and River Road and between Vanderhoof Road and SR 144 for resurfacing.
- The SR 7 north ramp to US 50 West will be closed May 8–July 15. Detour: SR 144 to SR 329 to US 50. Expected completion: November 1.
- SR 78 is being resurfaced between Trimble Twp. Rd. 675 and the Morgan County line. Traffic maintained by flaggers. Expected completion: August 15.
- All of SR 143 wlll be resurfaced beginning May 15. Expected completion: August 1.
- SR 681 from US 50 to the Meigs County line will be resurfaced beginning May 15. Expected completion: August 1.
- US 33 will be resurfaced between Elm Rock Rd. (York Twp Rd 36) and SR 550 beginning May 22. Traffic will be maintained by flaggers. Expected completion: September 1.
Meeting schedule is based on meeting notices published by public bodies and on regular meeting schedules of community organizations. Meeting information may change after this is posted. Check our website for the most up-to-date information.
11 a.m.: Athens Community Improvement Corporation has a meeting at the Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., 1st floor conference room, Athens. In-person only. Agenda
Indy Context: The CIC is a new body created by the city earlier this year to oversee development projects including the renovation of the old Athens Armory, which recently received funding through the state’s Appalachian Community Grant Program.
4:30 p.m.: Le-Ax Water District Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at the Le-Ax Water District, 6000 Industrial Drive, Athens. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Lodi Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Lodi Township Building, 15525 Fossil Rock Road, Athens. In-person only.
6:30 p.m.: Nelsonville City Council’s Police & Fire Committee and Finance Committee have back-to-back meetings to discuss “staffing ordinance changes” and “staffing salary changes,” respectively, at the Nelsonville City Hall, 211 Lake Hope Drive, Nelsonville, and over livestream. Notice
7 p.m.: Canaan Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Canaan Township Building, 16167 S. Canaan Road, Canaan. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Little Hocking Water Association Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Little Hocking Water Association, 3998 Newbury Road, Little Hocking. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Trimble Village Council has a regular monthly meeting at the Trimble Village Hall, 19549 Congress St., Trimble. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Tuppers Plains Chester Water District Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at the Tuppers Plains Chester Water District, 39561 Bar 30 Road, Reedsville. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Budget Commission has a regular weekly meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
3:30 p.m.: Federal Hocking Local School District Board of Education has a special board meeting/work session to “discuss goals for the Board of Education and School District for the coming year” at the Federal Hocking High School/Middle School Library, 8461 OH-144, Stewart. In-person only. Notice
7 p.m.: Burr Oak Regional Water District Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at the Tom Jenkins Dam Water Office, 23560 Tom Jenkins Dam Road, Glouster. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Coolville Village Council has a regular monthly meeting at the Coolville Village Hall, 26319 Main St., Coolville. In-person only.
7 p.m.: Lee Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Lee Township Office, 2013 Mill St., Albany. In-person only.
9 a.m.: Athens County Board of Revision has a meeting at the Athens County Courthouse, 15 S. Court St., 1st floor annex, auditor’s conference room, Athens. In-person only.
9:30 a.m.: Aging in Today’s Appalachia: A Summit for Southeast Ohio will be held at the Buckeye Hills Regional Council, 1400 Pike St., Marietta. In-person only.
10 a.m.: Hocking Valley Community Residential Center Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Hocking Valley Community Residential Center, 111 W. Twenty Nine Drive, Nelsonville. In-person only.
10:30 a.m.: Hocking Conservancy District Board of Directors has a regular monthly meeting at the Hocking Conservancy District, 560 W. Union St., Athens. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Chauncey Village Council has a regular monthly meeting at the Chauncey Village Hall, 42 Converse St., Chauncey. In-person only.
5:30 p.m.: Alexander Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Alexander Township Office, 8711 Harner Road, Athens. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Amesville Village Council has a regular monthly meeting at the Amesville City Building, 21 Maple, Amesville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center Governing Board has a regular biweekly meeting at the Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center, 21 Birge Drive, Chauncey. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Nelsonville-York City School District Board of Education has a regular monthly meeting at the Nelsonville-York Middle School/High School, 2 Buckeye Drive, cafeteria, Nelsonville. In-person only.
6 p.m.: Trimble Township Wastewater Treatment District Board has a regular monthly meeting at the Trimble Township Wastewater Treatment District, 18551 Jacksonville Road, Glouster. In-person only.
10 a.m.: Buckeye Hills Regional Council’s Natural Resources Assistance Council District 18 has a meeting to discuss scoring methodology at the Buckeye Hills Regional Council, 1400 Pike St., Marietta. In-person only. Notice
1 p.m.: Athens County Port Authority has a special meeting to discuss bids for its new “spec building” at the Ohio University Innovation Center, 340 W. State St., unit 26, Athens, and over Zoom. Agenda
6 p.m.: Bern Township Board of Trustees has a regular monthly meeting at the Bern Township Office, 16877 Joy Road, Sharpsburg. In-person only.
12 p.m.: Athens City Commission on Disabilities’ Accessibility and Advocacy Committee has a regular monthly meeting at the Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St., 1st floor conference room, Athens, and over Zoom by request for accommodation. Agenda
We are interested about hearing news in our community! Let us know what's happening!
Get in touch and share a story!